Monday, July 6, 2020

Moskovsky Komsomolets: Interview of Yury Shevchenko, Veteran KGB/SVR Illegal Intelligence Officer

On June 16, 2020, one of the most popular Russian daily newspapers Moskovsky Komsomolets published an interview of a former KGB/SVR illegal intelligence officer Yury Shevchenko. The interview was conducted by Eva Merkacheva, a veteran journalist who has written extensively on the Russian intelligence community and is a recipient of the SVR literary award. Below is my English translation available only on this blog.

Eva Merkacheva: Interview with Former KGB/SVR Illegal Intelligence Officer Yury Shevchenko

Moskovsky Komsomolets June 16, 2020 

- Yuri Anatolyevich, you are an architect by training. When you were recruited by [Soviet] foreign intelligence, did you think that they could use your architectural and artistic expertise?

- Of course. And I think they did the right thing to find a person like me. I did not dream of becoming an intelligence officer, not at all. When a teacher asked me: "Yurochka, who do you want be?" – I answered that I only wanted to be an architect.

- Where did such a dream come from?

- I once went with my grandmother to a village in the Kuban region. We passed through Stalingrad. I looked around: the train station was in ruins. There was broken equipment all around. The steppe was all scorched, black. It was awful. Imagine, it was evening, the train passed by a small village, and the following image remained in my memory forever: a garden and a scarecrow: some kind of a shirt and a human skull instead of the head. All that struck me so powerfully, that, though still a small boy, I decided: in order for this never to happen again, it is necessary to build, to construct. I will draw up buildings and cities, I will become an architect. Well, once I made that decision, I needed to make it come true. So, I graduated from the Children's Art School No. 1 in Moscow. Our teachers were great. I had to study in two schools at the same time: I have two graduation certificates – one from the art school and the other from the regular school. I ran from one school, where I was in the morning shift, quickly ate, and ran to another. And when did I have time to do the homework? So, I had to train myself to remember everything that the teachers said. That’s how I developed great memory that came in very handy in my intelligence work.

After high school, I entered the Moscow Architectural Institute. The professors said about me: students like you are born once every 100 years. I was already a celebrity, because I turned out to be the only and the last recipient of the Stalin scholarship and the first recipient of the Lenin scholarship in the history of the Moscow Architectural Institute. The director of the institute (that’s like the rector now) Nikolaev said: “Yur, don’t worry about a job, you’ll stay with us. In 3 years, you’ll have your PhD and in 5 years, your habilitation.” I answered: Yes, I’ll do it. I knew it would be simple. "Well, I’ll work as an assistant to the head of the department of industrial architecture." The member of the Academy Fesenko was the head of the department, an excellent teacher, a good architect, and a great organizer of the educational process, but already at the age of retirement, a replacement had to be found for him. The faculty decided that I deserved to be his successor. One day recently, while visiting friends, I met Fesenko’s son. He said to me: “My father told me a lot about you. He said that there was such a talented student by the name of Shevchenko, the best student he ever had. And then he said regretfully that this student later disappeared somewhere. I told him: "Dad, I think he got a job in intelligence."

- Wow, they found you out! How did you disappear?

- I did not disappear right away. First, (now I know that it was no coincidence) I got enrolled in the architectural school in the GDR in order to master the German language. There I lived alone to adapt to the German environment. And there was an interesting 3rd secretary of the [Soviet] embassy, ​​who was responsible for all students studying in the GDR. I did not think that he was somehow connected to intelligence and that there was a station, it turns out, nearby. And he often came from the embassy in Berlin to the Weimar Higher Technical School, where I studied, to see how I behaved, whether I was causing any trouble, drinking too much beer.

And after I came back [to Moscow], I met him in the corridor of our institute at Rozhdestvenka. Hello. Hello. “How are you doing? Did you get a job? Are you staying at the institute? I have a better offer for you.” I told him: “I am not interested in anything else, this is my favorite profession, I will teach the architects of the future. And I will be engaged in many creative projects.” “No, I have an even more interesting job in mind. Working with people". - "Well, I will also work with people, with students!" “But you know, this work is connected to going abroad.” Now, that was a real temptation (this was in 1963), to travel abroad. But I was sure that I would travel abroad anyway, I planned to become a member of the International Union of Architects, and they have symposiums in foreign countries.

A few days later, I was called to the personnel department. Oops, there was my 'friend,' sitting at the table and brazenly reading my personal file. I said: “Are my exam papers there? I need to see them to find out why they gave me a “4”.

During all my time at the institute, this was the only “4” I got. He let me have a look. And then he recruited me.

- How did he succeed to persuade you, given that being an architect was your dream job?!

- He said: "We want to offer you to study at the Higher Intelligence School of the Soviet Union." I asked the only question that was on my mind: “Can’t intelligence do without architects?” He said something that sounded enticing (this was probably the shortest recruitment in his life): “No, intelligence does not need architects. But the Motherland needs you. And you only.” I said: "Give me three days to think about it." I didn’t say that because I really needed to think. No, I knew right away that I would accept the offer, because the Motherland called on me. But I had to grieve for three days and wanted nobody to see it.

- A tragedy ...

- Yes, that was a tragedy for me. But having got over the grieving, I never regretted my choice later. And I think that from the very beginning, they knew my being an architect would come in handy. At the Intelligence School, I was asked the question: “How do you think we can use your architect's expertise in intelligence?” I said: “Sorry, I can’t answer this question because I don’t know what intelligence is. ”

- How did being an architect come to manifest itself in intelligence work?

- Oh! They made a foreigner out of me. First, they wanted to make me a German, then they looked at my nose: “What kind of German is he? This is a Frenchman! He’ll hang out with a sketchbook on Montmartre, he will paint the portraits of bohemians” They have come up with my whole life in advance.

In short, I did not dream that I would be an illegal. My profession [as an architect] could be helpful in obtaining a cover from the UNESCO.

By the way, I had no false documents. I was French, I knew who my parents were, where I was baptized, and there was an entry in the registry book that such a boy was born then ... It was all there out in the open. The French authorities issued me the documents. Nothing was fake whatsoever. I was a normal “Frenchman,” and I knew my whole life in France. And how difficult it was, this life. You would cry if I told you about my fictional childhood!

-And you really became an artist on Montmartre?

- Yes! I bought an easel, a sketchbook. A great crowd was always around me. Bohemians - artists, performers.

- And, as I understand it, there were opportunities to get to know people who could then do something for [Soviet] intelligence, bring in some valuable information.

- That was later. I'll tell you an episode from my new life. One fine day I find myself in one European country. As a French painter with a beret. I paint, work in libraries, study art theory, make sketches of ancient monuments. I’m working on an academic thesis “The Penetration of the Moorish Style into European Architecture” ...

- Are you leading me away from the topic?

- Yes, I know how to do that! You asked the right question, why the hell was I there? I had an intelligence assignment. To collect information. It included political, military-political, and economic issues.

- When can an artist know about politics or economics?

- Here again, you ask a great question. This is what my plan was. I decided to open my own business in this foreign country. An architect’s bureau. I knew I needed about 5 employees and a business plan. And I had enough money.

According to my cover, I began my working life in one of the African countries. And so, when a revolution took place there and blood flowed like a river, I left.

- So, according to your cover, you were a very rich artist?

- Yes, I had “an inheritance.” And, according to my plan, I had to find out if there was a possibility of foreign investment in the European country where I ended up. I didn’t know the laws. So I needed to get to know people working in law firms. There are offices that prepare the entire set of documents for registering your business. I went to these offices, started getting acquainted with lawyers ...

You need to sift through a lot of “chaff” before you find one interesting person. The one that has access to classified information. Because he is not just a lawyer, but a government lawyer.

- So that’s how you penetrate politics. How about the economy?

- Well, I'm smart! Before investing, I needed to know what the economic situation [in the country] was! I began establishing contacts in the Chamber of Industry and Commerce, in the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

In general, I found people who have access to classified information. I made friends with them. I would tell them something like this: "I am inviting you for dinner at a restaurant." Everybody likes free food. And then, while there, after a glass of wine, I began asking questions: what will happen tomorrow? What are the main political forces now? And so on and so forth.

- And they were not concerned about that?

- No. They thought that I was worried about the fate of my investments. I told them that I had already lost a lot of money when the revolution took place. If I had known the situation in Africa in advance, I could have saved more of my capital. So I would say jokingly: “I was already shot down once, and so please do not ‘bs’ me ! Tell me what will happen.” And the man would tell me the truth. Why should he lie me? I didn’t need to know these secrets for somebody else. I needed them for myself (according to my cover story).

- And how did you transmit the information later? Have you been with your wife then?

- I was married, but my wife was in another place, also in one of the European countries. Then we were allegedly to meet in Rome, become friends, come close to getting married, but that did not happen. She also played many roles - a student, an architect, just like me. And all this, according to the cover story, do you understand?

Regarding the methods of transmitting information, first you must obtain it. By that time, I did not come across anything particularly valuable. Getting rumors here and there is not what counts. That’s not worth anything to anybody.

But there are places where people relax. The people who know real secrets. And I haven’t reached them yet. I was doing the best I could but the results were so-so.

-And how did you end up finding these valuable sources?

- Here’s what I thought : I need to join some elite club where the cream of society gathers. There were golf clubs, tennis clubs. What could I do? Well, we were taught to play tennis at the intelligence school, we had mandatory classes. But that was difficult: you needed to buy the equipment, then spend many hours on the tennis courts. However, I played chess. Oh! - I thought, - why not use this hobby? I was even some kind of chess champion at school. So I found a club where there was a chess section.

- But you still had to become a member of this club ...

- Imagine this: Saturday, the center of the capital. A magnificent, rich club. There is a serious- looking man standing there: older than me, with a distinguished bearing. I tell him: "How can I enroll in your club and become a member?" - “What’s the matter with you, young man!? You can’t become a member of our club just like that. In order to become a member of our club, you need to have at least two recommendations from those who have already been members for at least one year. And when you get that, then we will consider you for membership. Whether you are worthy of it…" - "Well, I'm an architect, I just got here and I like to play chess. I don’t need your club membership. I see that you have a chess section, and so I just wanted to become a member of that.” “How lucky you are. I’m in charge of the chess section.” Can you imagine, what a coincidence. Then he says: “Okay, come with me, let’s play.” Well, we sat down, began to play blitz. We played for an hour and a half. “Listen, you are playing great! We need you in our chess section. We have a chess tournament coming up. ” He looked up and there were two members of the club playing pool. “Hey, you there, come here quick, write recommendations for him. By the way, what is your name?" And I got in. I became a member of the chess section. And what kinds of great connections I made! An ambassador, retired general, personal friend of the head of state (they fought in the war together). Every day he stopped by the head of state to drink tea with him. He knew everything: what is going in his family, how the old man feels (he was seriously ill), what will happen next ... He knew everything.

There were also powerful businessmen who were political insiders. After playing chess, we would all gather for a glass of cognac or a cup of coffee and discuss political issues. I had an excellent contact – a well-known journalist, foreign correspondent, who covered the Helsinki meeting of the heads of state on security in Europe (when Brezhnev went there, he already had all this information from the Center). And that’s where my information went. The Center wrote: “We approve of your work, everything is fine, but be careful in working with your contacts ...” Well, what else can they write? The information was first-hand and absolutely secret, it was about the main things going on that country in the present and what its future will be.

- Wow! Can you describe one more episode from your career?

This episode is described in more detail in Alexander Bondarenko: An Unknown Spy Operation from the Life of the Recently Declassified KGB/SVR Illegal Intelligence Officer Yury Shevchenko

- So that's how you used your talent as an artist and architect in your intelligence work.

- Yes. I worked out my own methods which will stay with me for as long as I live.

I had it easier than other illegal intelligence operatives. My great friend Hero of Russia Alexei Kozlov began his illegal work abroad as a laundry worker, then became the director of the laundry plant. He had to work from morning to evening. And, as for me, for 40 years of my service in illegal intelligence, I have never had a 9-5 job.

24 hours a day I focused on intelligence, looking for the candidates for recruitment, for secret information. Every day I waited for the moment when my dream will come true. The reason why I wanted this job.

-And what is this dream?

- I set myself a goal in life: I will have lived my life in vain if I didn’t get at least one authentic document with the highest NATO security classification - with the classification “cosmic.” I wanted this document to be in my hands and then to be on the table of the illegal intelligence chiefs. If I didn’t do that, my life would be wasted.

- How many such documents have you obtained?

- There is one dossier where all the documents are collected, the original documents. This dossier has 300 volumes, and each volume 300 pages. Sorry, I can’t multiply, my math is bad.

- And every page is with the classification "cosmic"?

- No, not every page. There are classifications “secret” and “top secret”, because “cosmic” is a NATO classification only. NATO has top secret documents, and this is its highest security classification. Typically, CIA documents have a "top secret" classification, for example, those  documents intended for the military leadership or for the president of the U.S. We [in Russia] call these documents the documents of "special importance", and they [in the U.S.] have the classification "top secret". The president of the U.S. hasn’t read them yet, and our leadership already knows what they are about!

- And each time, when you were obtaining these documents, you were playing the role of an artist?

- The role of an artist or an architect. There were all kinds of miraculous operations. But they remain classified. I will say in general terms. I always found people who could help me. First, I wanted to have the NATO headquarters under control because that was my greatest dream. Secondly, the U.S. presidential administration. U.S. presidents do not need to be recruited; they come and go; here, for example, there is Trump, well, what does he know ... But there are people in his administration who know everything. Intelligence is a sacred task, we need to know everything that they do, what intrigues they are planning against us. The State Department is also an interesting institution, they have secret documents about our mutual relations. Do you know how interesting it is to read secret CIA documents? Here’s one, I remember, I read: “A cargo ship with 26 tanks on board for Iraq left the Novorossiysk port on a certain date.” I thought: how is it that we have such yahoos - they did not conceal our cargo ship going with military equipment to Iraq? I informed those who needed to know in the General Staff: there is such an information, you have been photographed when you sent the goods. They said to me: nothing of the kind, on this day the cargo ship really went to Iraq, but it transported the tractors.

And the Americans claimed that they could see even the stars on the shoulder straps of the ships’ captains. It's comical!

- So you worked in America, too?

I was forbidden to go there. “If you get caught, you’ll end up in jail,” my chiefs told me. “You will be tried in a state where there is a death penalty; nothing less is in store for you. And we don’t want to lose you... We won’t be able to get you out. The Abel case was easy. They don’t like you there. ” I thought - well, I’ll go anyway, if I want to. When I decide to do something, I do it. And I went! And got reprimanded for it.

- By the way, did you get a reprimand for the NATO base?

On this, see Alexander Bondarenko: An Unknown Spy Operation from the Life of the Recently Declassified KGB/SVR Illegal Intelligence Officer Yury Shevchenko.

- Here’s the last question: what are the main qualities a person needs if s/he wants to go into intelligence work?

- The first thing is that they should be patriots. Intelligence is not a craft [with rules]. I believe that it is an art, and every art depends on details. There are never things that are too insignificant.

The second is professionalism. But the key is that intelligence is not just a job, it is the work of the devotees. It is necessary to love this business so much, to give it everything. Why? What is the difference between professionals and devotees? A professional has a job to do, and then is rewarded for the quality and quantity of items produced. If you know how to score goals well - you are sought after, if you do not know how to score goals – tough for you. In intelligence, you should be ready to give everything for the Motherland: this does not only mean your life (that’s not the most difficult, it’s no big deal). But the real sacrifice, for instance, is the fate of your children. We have had such examples where the children are born in a family, they grow up and suddenly say: “Mom, Dad, it turns out that you have been deceiving us all our lives. It turns out you are not the ones you said you were.” These children come here, but they don’t know a single word of Russian. It turns out that they have a grandmother, a grandfather. That is the real sacrifice ... That is the most difficult.

- Tell me, do you sometimes regret that you did not become an architect?

- Not for a minute. If I had to choose again, I would again choose this particular path. Everything that’s necessary will be built by my [other] architect friends. And I was engaged in the most important task - ensuring the security of our country. These things are disproportionate in their significance, in their social, human significance. Very much disproportionate.