Sunday, July 19, 2020

Russian Humanitarian Prize Website: Interview of Elena Vavilova, Veteran KGB/SVR Illegal Intelligence Officer

Elena Vavilova (aka Tracey Lee Ann Foley) was a KGB/SVR illegal intelligence officer based in Canada, France, and the United States. Together with her husband Andrey Bezrukov (aka Donald Heathfield) and eight other Russian intelligence officers, she was arrested in the FBI Operation Ghost Stories in June 2010 and later exchanged in a prisoner swap between the U.S. and Russia.

The Russian humanitarian prize “Na Blago Mira” [For the Good of the World] website published this exclusive, lengthy interview of Elena Vavilova on May 26, 2020. Below is my English translation available only on this blog.

Zoya Bardina: For the Good of the Homeland. On the Centenary of Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR): Interview with Elena Vavilova

Na Blago Mira May 26, 2020

A new book by the retired foreign intelligence officer, Colonel of the Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) Elena Vavilova The Encrypted Heart was released recently, and the book presentation was held in the TASS Press Center. This is an intriguing novel from the book series “Female Intelligence Officer. My Undercover Life.” The “Na Blago Mira” Prize website publishes this exclusive interview with Vavilova, conducted by a friend of the Prize, journalist Zoya Bardina.

In this conversation, Elena Stanislavovna [Vavilova] talked about the significant events and experiences in her life and her forgiveness of betrayal.

- Elena Stanislavovna, what did you dream about as a child? Do you still have the same dreams?

- In childhood, everyone dreams of having an interesting occupation. I wanted to be an actress, or a ballerina, art attracted me. I went to a music school, studied ballet, and saw myself on stage. I tried to enroll at the Theater Institute in Leningrad and major in art criticism but was not successful. I returned to my native Tomsk and enrolled as a history major. Of course, that’s the humanities, but still not too far removed from art.

As a student at the university, like so many young people, I reflected on the meaning of life, on my life mission, which I think is important for every person. Most likely, it was a search for [a deeper] meaning in life - why we live and what we can do to bring good things into the world. For me, this was connected to improving life in our country and a desire to prevent military conflicts. When I ended up in foreign intelligence by chance, it seemed to me that this was exactly the profession where I could realize my desire - to contribute to peace in the world.

It was no longer a dream, but a reality. And I was a [practical] realist and understood that in life you needed to work hard in order to achieve something.

I dreamed of being successful, and I still do. Successful in terms of constantly developing myself and of accomplishing something concrete. If that something is to study, it means to study well, to be enthusiastic. To have an active position in life, to make efforts to be [even] better, to constantly develop yourself and never stop.

When I was at university, I worked in a student newspaper. I had a genuine curiosity for life and all its manifestations. I wanted to write articles about what is going on around us. Yes, I wanted to be socially active and take the initiative instead of waiting for someone to come and present everything on a silver platter. Efficiency and constant development - this was the main thing in my life.

- What talents and abilities did you want to develop?

- First of all, I wanted to have a distinguished place in society, to have a distinguished profession. When I studied, I dreamed of doing scientific work. I wanted to learn as much as possible and contribute to the scientific community. At that time, I thought in terms of being a historian. Then my life went in a different direction. But the desire to use my potential, given to me from birth by God, parents, genetics, was always there. I wanted to use it to do good for myself, my family and the society as a whole.

- What values did your parents instill in you?

- My parents, my mom and dad, worked as scientists and professors. They were highly educated. In addition to their professional careers, they knew a lot about art and music, especially my dad who played several instruments. They tried to instill in me the curiosity and interest in my surroundings. We traveled a lot around the country, in the [other former] republics of the Soviet Union. My parents wanted to show me different cities, the lifestyles of different people, so that I understand and appreciate the diversity of our country. They also instilled in me universal human values - kindness, helping other people. I learned a lot from their example, how they treated others, their parents, who were already elderly. Our family was very tightly knit. This was a great example for me of a positive outlook on life and the value of mutual support within a family. My mom Svetlana Konstantinovna and my dad Stanislav Platonovich have lived together for 57 years. The strength of my parents’ marriage was also a great example.

- And your parents were not offended by the fact that you would not tell them too much about 25 years of your life, about your secret work?

- No, they were not. They knew that we were telling them as much as we could. They didn’t know anything else. But this was a necessity. First, to protect them from unnecessary worries, concerns and thoughts about what was happening to us, about where we were. It was a kind of protection for their emotional health. Over time, they got used to the fact that there was a certain secret veil, a secret life, and even if they didn’t understand everything, they tried not to ask too much. At an earlier time, my dad worked as a physicist in a closed institute where he was not allowed to talk about the research being conducted. My parents believed that our work was associated with certain sociological studies that were to be kept secret. Therefore, they didn’t ask too many questions. From time to time, we would come to Russia on vacation and meet with them. They saw that we were joyful, healthy, lived well, had children. This reassured them.

- Did your own beliefs and life principle change over time?

- As in the case of any other person, my character developed over time. Some personality traits became more pronounced, I noticed some shortcomings and worked to eliminate them. I think that it is useful for each person to try to balance his personality.

For example, let’s take one of my character traits that people notice. They tell me that I am too generous and that I care too much about other people, forgetting about myself. For me, this is the norm, this is my life-long attitude, and it has been so since my youth. I have always wanted to help as much as I could. This character trait was also manifested when I worked abroad. Everyone considered me attentive, always ready to come to anybody’s rescue. I believe that a person should give as much as possible to those close to him. I was never an egoist. It was the same with the upbringing of children. I was always ready to do anything for them, often to the detriment of myself. Maybe it was necessary to have more balance and reduce my zeal? But I just couldn’t do it. My husband Andrey is a bit different, he is more rational in this sense.

I believe that everyone should do his part for the betterment of society. This for me is the most important thing, the foundation on which I built my life.

- Why did you give your book the title A Woman Who Can Keep Secrets? Can a woman really keep secrets?

- I wanted the title to attract the reader, and not only women, but also men. Of course, women can keep secrets, if necessary, despite the fact that they are more emotional, and the perceptions of the outside world affect them more strongly. On the other hand, it’s more difficult for us to restrain our feelings. For example, I can cry easily, I worry more. But I also consciously agreed to do a difficult job. And keeping secrets was the key thing for my security, for my success. Because if I were a loudmouth and shared my secrets with everyone, I wouldn’t last in my job. I think this may be more of a male character trait, but I have it. Interestingly, when I was a child, I loved playing boys’ games.

Of course, when I lived abroad, I behaved like an ordinary woman: I liked to chat with other women over a cup of coffee. We talked about everyday topics, most of all about parenting. I was more open to such conversations than my husband, who, from the outside, seemed introverted and a man of few words.

I usually get along with people more easily because I am more emotional and attentive to another person’s moods. But, when necessary, I can keep any secrets.

- By the way, intelligence profession is not the only one where women work and keep secrets.

- True, there are women who worked in the military, women who are scientists whose work is classified. A person usually chooses a profession based on his character traits and abilities.

- You and your husband lived under false names for many years. What are your feelings about that?

- For the sake of dynamism in the plot of my book, I had us change our names twice. But, in real life, we used the same names from the beginning. The work of illegal intelligence officers requires [using false names]; it is one of the methods of our work.

- When emotions reach their peak, it is difficult to restrain oneself and not say something in one’s own language. How did you and your husband deal with this?

- This wasn’t difficult. We consciously, and by the exertion of willpower, avoided speaking our native language. We understood that in order to do our work successfully and safely, we had to learn to abstract ourselves from our previous lives and to believe that we were now people with different names. Over time, when we called each other using these names, we ourselves internally felt like different people. But interestingly, in the family circle, we still avoided these names when we called each other and replaced them with neutral expressions, such as “dear.” Even our children, when they were little, thought “Hmm.  What’s my mom’s or my dad’s name?” They did not hear them at home too often.

- Your marriage with Andrey and your children – is that something fated from above? Do you have a strong marriage?

- Yes, of course. First, it is based on mutual feelings, love, respect, trust in each other. Moreover, our work in common brought us together even more and helped us avoid serious disagreements. We tried not to exaggerate household troubles and disputes that would inevitably happen. We are normal people and nothing human is alien to us. Of course, we first got to know each other while we were here, then we left, and our work and life abroad bound us together even more. After all, we could not share anything about our work with anybody else. It was just two of us. Quarreling over minor issues would be foolish; we would lose even the mutual support. We understood that we were dependent on each other and this helped us. I think that our marriage is sanctified from above, especially since we had to marry twice in connection with our [intelligence] assignment. First, we got married as students in the Tomsk Registry Office, and then in the city hall of the city where we lived abroad under different names.

- Do you and Andrey complement each other and feel as one?

- Yes, we do. We have been together for 37 years.

- [When you were abroad] you sang psalms, Christian hymns, communicated with a priest. Did this have an impact on you?

- Yes, of course. When you immerse yourself in the church atmosphere, then it inevitably gets into you. I sang in Latin and French, I deeply felt and understood the meaning of those words. For me it was an epiphany, an interesting inner emotional state. It led me to thinking that there is some grand principle that guides our life on earth. I very much enjoyed my participation in the church choir.

- Were you allowed to express your religious affiliation?

- Initially, we were trained as Catholics. According to the identity documents that I used, my family was Catholic, as evidenced by the entry in the church registry. It was assumed that I was baptized. We went to church, we talked with the priest and other believers, we participated in Christian holidays and the holiday prayer. We knew all the rites very well. Of course, when you participate in prayers, you come into contact with spirituality, and God's peace comes into you. I think that was a positive thing for us - the opportunity to go to church there. It helped us to be calm and relaxed and provided us with balance.

- What was the main thing for you as parents in your children’s upbringing?

- I believe that parents should raise children by being their role models. I thought it was important what they saw that we were doing. Using our behavior as a model, we tried to instill in them discipline and responsibility for what they do. For example, to keep their promises, to do everything on time. To be generous, to help those who have had fewer opportunities, who may be lacking in some way. To be open to accept people of different nationalities and religions. That was important. I think we were successful. Our sons are quite tolerant and responsible young people. The oldest Timofey is already 29, the youngest Alexander is 25. We wanted to give them such names so that they sounded good both in Russian and English. Timothy – Tim and Alexander - Alex sound the same in many languages. They majored in finance and are employed in the financial sector. The older son is married.

- You and your spouse received a very good education abroad.

- Yes, especially Andrey. After the children were born, I became a stay-at-home mom. Without top education, especially in the case of Andrey, it was difficult for us to carry out our [intelligence] assignments. We needed to assimilate and take up the positions of higher social status. In order to accomplish this, Andrey graduated from several universities. He graduated from his first [Western] university in Canada, then in France, and then in the United States, where we lived for ten years. We actually came to the U.S. just so he could receive another diploma, which was quite prestigious [Harvard Kennedy School]. After graduation, he worked as a consultant on business development strategies. He was interested in the projects of planning the future.

- What differences did you notice between Russia and the U.S.?

- In our country, there are a lot of gifted people. Our nation is talented. Our history is quite long and complicated compared to the U.S. Their state is young and was formed by the emigrants who arrived with their own culture and their own traditions. In order to unite them, one fundamental idea was needed and that was democracy. American political institutions were created in order to unite the people of different cultures into one community with its own rules. Russia is different. During the long history of the existence of our state, we had to go through serious trials and tribulations. We went through quite a lot. As a nation, we are more profound.

- What helped you and Andrey when you were on the verge of being exposed [or] had to make some tough decisions?

- First, we believed in what we were doing and in the benefits that our work was providing for our country. We used the personal qualities that we had; mostly, our willpower. I believe that our profession is a bit similar to being a monk when people renounce the things widely available to any ordinary person. Monks deny themselves many things to focus on what is important to them – the faith in God. We did the same. We believed that what we were doing was important for our country. This is what we lived for. All other things fade away when you are doing a good deed. Of course, we could not communicate with our parents, we could not write them letters. There were no native Russian people around us or former friends. These were the limitations that we had to overcome. But we understood that we were doing an important service. Remember, even the word patriotism itself came from the Latin “patrio,” which means Fatherland, Homeland. And our profession is grounded in patriotism. This is the main thing. If a person is not a patriot, then he will not be able to work as an intelligence officer. And love for the Motherland, for the Fatherland, for the people, the desire to help those who are close - these are our spiritual values. It turns out that, in fact, our service is grounded in the spiritual commitment. In our case, serving our Fatherland in the broadest sense is serving the people who inhabit our country. For each of us, the Homeland begins with a family in which a small child learns the first words and gradually realizes that his family is his help and protection.

We served the Homeland so that our nation would be strong and that the families of our multinational country would live peacefully without incidents, wars, and conflicts. Peace must be protected. We considered ourselves the fighters of the invisible front. I resolved the question about the meaning and purpose of life; I found the answer I was looking for. For me, this answer was expressed in the service to my country.

- What are the most important qualities of a patriot? And what if the nation is deified?

- If this is the U.S. or German-style patriotism, then yes, the deification of the nation is evident. [They claim] we are the best in the world. This of course is an exaggeration. In my understanding, patriotism is love and devotion to one’s country. Patriots are people who love their homeland. And the homeland must be identified with the place of birth, with the people who inhabit your country. Patriotism, fanaticism, and nationalism are not the same thing. Fanaticism and nationalism destroy. True patriotism lies in one’s fidelity to the Fatherland and the desire to make it better, to work towards that.

- Using the experiences you gained in your work, can you see through a person?

- Very often. First, it comes with practice. If you work with people, you develop an understanding of human psychology. I can determine the character of a person by his manners and by what he says. I can find out people’s beliefs after a short communication. Getting to know what makes people tick is very interesting. When I was abroad, I constantly studied and deepened the knowledge that I began to acquire in my youth in the fields of philosophy and psychology. All this helped me understand the people, mainly foreigners, who were around us. Their way of thinking was different from ours. Even now, I involuntarily make an internal assessment of the person who I am talking to. It’s like a teacher who immediately sees what his new class will be like, who will be an exemplary student and who will cause trouble. Such knowledge comes with experience.

- Does it help in everyday life?

- Yes, of course. I also use female intuition. Sometimes I can’t explain why there is something in a person I like while, at the same time, there is something I dislike. I rely on intuition. This helps me to find the right approach. In my work abroad, it was necessary to be attentive to how the other person responded to certain words and actions. Intuition is very useful in everyday life, in your job, with your colleagues.

- What are you doing now?

- At this time, I work in a private company. I am engaged in analytical work and research competitive business intelligence. So, my analytic experience came in handy. I try to be of service.

- You now have your own team of work associates.

- Yes, and I am glad. When we arrived in Russia after many years of absence, we had no acquaintances and friends. We had to start all over again. This is where our qualities and experience came in handy again, now in our own country. Gradually, we found a group of people with whom it’s great to keep in touch.

I was lucky with my current colleagues. They are supportive and communicative, which is very important. Over time, I integrated myself successfully in a company not related to my former professional activities and found new friends. Now, my husband and I feel like ordinary people. Maybe our friendships are all quite new, but there is already a lot of depth. We are happy that we met a lot of interesting people in Russia from different walks of life, different ages, and different belief systems.

- Who do you become friends with?

- People with whom we share similar interests and beliefs, people with whom it’s a pleasure to communicate, people with whom we have something to talk about. These are the people in front of whom you don’t have to pretend, but you can be sincere. They accept you as you are. This is important so that there is no unnecessary tension.

- Do you still feel any pain from the betrayal by your [former] mentor?

- Yes, he was our boss, the person we would meet and plan our work with. Unfortunately, he turned out to be an important figure in our service. In fact, he betrayed not only us personally and our colleagues (more than 10 people), but also the service itself, everything that many people worked for while not sparing themselves. That is the worst of all. He revealed a lot of information about how our work is organized, what methods we use in intelligence work. He caused a lot of damage to the entire service. I believe that each person is responsible for his own soul. The man who once betrayed is unlikely to find peace, his soul will never be able to calm down. As the Bible says, “what is the point if a man gains the whole world, but damages his soul?” Why betray someone, wanting to gain the whole world, if the soul will be injured and damaged?! That’s what I think. After his deed was done, he fled to another country and lives in a foreign land. If, of course, he is still alive because that’s not certain. There have been different rumors. But if he is alive, then his soul is not at peace. Because betrayal is a serious sin.

- Have you forgiven him?

- I think you can say that. After all, there is no reason to hold it inside yourself, and you need to forgive. And he will have his own judgment day. Judas was such a traitor to Christ! And how did he end his life?! The theme of betrayal is elaborated well in the Bible, for example, through the Pharisees who betrayed Christ.

- How has our country changed?

- The Soviet Union we lived in and left from was an atheist society. When we returned to Russia, we saw that a lot has changed, that religion, the church has gradually returned. And it is impressive, a large number of believers and traditions that have been spiritually revived. After all, religion has played an important role in our history. Dostoevsky said that the human soul is Christian by nature. The spiritual principle has returned to us. In other countries, I saw how religion is harmoniously intertwined with the rest of society. Now we have that here as well, and that is positive.

- Your new book The Encrypted Heart has been released, congratulations! What are the highlights of your new novel?

- Thank you for your compliment! The novel is written on a more up-to-date topic, but it is based on my thoughts, feelings, and experience. In my books, I try to focus on the role and position of women in intelligence, because that’s what is missing in our literary community. I wanted to show somebody who is our contemporary and works in such a complex profession as intelligence.

- Your wishes for our society as a whole?

- I would like to wish love to all people. This is a fundamental trait that we all need and a feeling that each of us experiences one way or another. I would also like to wish more self-assurance to everybody to believe that life will be better, that our society will become more humane and just. You need to have faith in your own family. I wish for people to find their soulmates and have strong marriages. To have more children because children are a joy. I wish everyone to find their right path in life and be happy.

- Does a person need faith in God?

- Of course, a person needs faith in God. It inspires us, calms us, rescues us. I wish everyone to find faith in God and walk the earthly path until we ascend to Heaven with God's help.